Recipe type: Condiment
Serves: 3-4 cups
- 4 - 4½ pounds plums, pitted (see note)
- 1 orange or 2 clementines
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ cup good quality honey (can be adjusted according to taste)
- In a blender or food processor, puree the plums. If they are firm, chop them up first.
- Push the plum puree through a food mill or fine mesh strainer and discard the skins.
- Add the puree to a dutch oven or heavy bottom saucepan.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel 4 large strips of zest from the orange or clementines.
- Juice the fruit and add 3 tablespoons of juice to the pot along with the zest.
- Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, allspice and honey.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring periodically, and then turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Cook for 75-80 minutes, uncovered, and use tongs to remove the zest after 20 minutes.
- Stir frequently, scraping a heat proof spatula against the bottom of the pan to make sure nothing sticks.
- Allow to cool and then store in the refrigerator.