Orange Sunflower Slaw
A deliciously different slaw that can be used in place of traditional slaw or whenever.
Recipe type: Salads and Sides
Serves: 8 1C servings
- ½ C. orange juice
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. coconut nectar, stevia or sugar
- 1 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 C shredded napa or green cabbage (1/2 head)
- 2 C. shredded red cabbage (1/4 head)
- 1 large carrot, julienned (1/4 C)
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and seeds scooped out, julienned (1 C)
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 C sunflower seeds (we used toasted)
- ½ C finely chopped mint (optional)
- Dressing: To make the dressing combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix, toss in dressing and serve.
To make this ahead of time you can prep the dressing ahead and keep in the refrigerator, take it out a couple of hours ahead of time since some of the oil will solidify in the refrigerator, shake it up well before adding to salad ingredients. If you prepare the salad portion keep the cucumbers in a separate container until ready to toss together to keep it from getting watery.
Serving size: 1 Cup Calories: 231 Fat: 18 g Saturated fat: 2 g Carbohydrates: 15 g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 281 mg Fiber: 4 g Protein: 6 g Cholesterol: 0 g