Cherry Tomato Basil Spinach and Parmesan Pasta
Author: Life made sweeter
- 4 ounces of dried spaghetti or pasta noodles of your choice (I used gluten free pasta)
- 3 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 2 flowing cups of baby spinach,roughly chopped
- 1 bunch (about 10 to 12 leaves) basil, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper or to taste
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 red chili pepper of your choice, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- extra virgin olive oil for frying
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain and reserve ¾ cups of pasta water.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, and gently saute for about a minute or two, until the garlic is just beginning to color (being careful to not let burn).
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt and black pepper. Cook tomatoes for about 3-4 minutes until juices start to burst.
- Add the chopped chili pepper and cook for another minute or two until slightly softened.
- Add the cooked pasta and reserved pasta water little by little until pasta is well coated. and consistency is reached (I used a little more than ½ a cup).
- Allow to simmer for about a minute then add the red chili pepper flakes, chopped spinach, basil and Parmesan cheese. Turn heat to low and gently toss to coat evenly.
- Add more pasta water if needed. Remove from heat.
- Season more to taste if desired and serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese.